Preface: You have no life when you can handroll an Openstack installation in less than 3 hours. I’ve been doing this way too long…*sigh*
Fooling around with Juno on my Openstack Lab (personal 8 node cluster). Here are some of the bugs I’ve come across in my travels. I thought I’d share:
Openstack Juno Gotchas / Bugs:
1. Max out your quota limit and Horizon automatically prevents you from instantiating that service from the dashboard. The only fix is to increase the quota permanently. I fixed it by blowing away Keystone DB and rebuilding all the relevant accounts, tenants, and endpoints. Everything came back perfectly. Don’t try this on a production system unless you’re just suicidal. I like to break things so I can figure out how to fix them in a production environment.
2. Neutron: Floating IPs and Router interfaces on External net will show down, but are actually “up” when provisioned. Firewall plugin needs specific TCP / UDP rules to allow traffic ingress/egress. “IPV4” allow any won’t be enough to permit traffic through. Router interfaces on the External Network show DOWN, but they still route just fine.
3. Neutron: You cannot just attach an instance directly to external net. They will fail to launch.. (shouldn’t be the case).
4. Nova: You MUST TAKE CARE to remove instances before rebooting the node or you WILL lose all your instances. This was not the case in prior versions.
5. Keystone: If a user doesn’t have admin rights for a project, floating IPs can’t be assigned to an instance as no ports will be available on Neutron.
6. Neutron: Remember to release and disassociate floating IPs or they get lost from the available pool prior to termination of the instance.
7. Neutron: ML2 Plugin Packaging bug. Remember to link to plugin.conf in /etc/neutron/plugin.conf
That’s what I’ve found so far. Going to implement redundant Rabbit Queues this coming week as well as Controllers. Should be interesting to see what else blows up. I have a theory on fully-redundant controller architecture I’m testing.. Will report back when it works or I fail miserably.. lol.