I’ve been blogging for a while now and while I won’t disclose my traffic, I can tell you that it’s pretty serious for a blog. I don’t do any SEO, I don’t advertise, all I do is write about what I know. I write about what people want to know. I’d also like to point out that SEO companies don’t work. It’s not about gaming the system. It’s about providing quality content.
I’ve tried various ways of monetizing this blog, but the reality is it hasn’t made much money, although, I get an insane amount of traffic. This article is not about monetizing a blog, but getting the right type of readership to the blog.
Increase your numbers and eventually, you will get the pay-off whatever that may be for you.
So here are some very important tips:
1. Write clearly and whenever possible, clarify for the audience. Not everyone is an expert like you.
2. Write and post frequently.
3. Don’t post tags that don’t mean anything on your blog, but post tags that actually have relevance to your post.
4. Get involved in forums. Answer some questions and write a few how-tos on your blog you can refer them to.
5. Show people value. Hiding the secrets aren’t going to get you the popularity you’re seeking. People want to know the die hard truth. Let them know the ins and outs of your industry. It won’t hurt you in the long run.
6. Help people even if it costs you time, but in turn, ask them to post their experience about you / with you on a popular forum.
7. Create a simple contact page that will allow people to contact you.
8. Don’t try to pull the wool over people’s eyes. TRUTH and FULL DISCLOSURE will bring you the traffic you want. I give people what they need and I also mention I’m available for hire. It doesn’t hurt to self-promote.. Just don’t make it too ridiculous.
9. It’s ok to ask for donations, but be tactful and honest.
10. Don’t put too many ads on your site. It turns people off. I’ve recently removed google adsense. Why? It was distracting.
11. If you show your expertise, people will ask you to do work for them (consulting). That’s the important thing.
I coined a phrase recently. “Build your celebrity”. Do it ethically and morally and not only will you build friendships along the way, but make yourself some money and a good name.
Oh.. and make the blog more focused. No naked pictures, etc. Unless that’s your thing, but the reality is there is enough smut and noise out there. People are looking for quality information. Show them you are a good source and they’ll come back. My current return visitor rate is about 20%. Pretty impressive considering the world of the internet.
On another note, over 80% of my traffic is organic. How many other bloggers can make that claim?